How Do I Do It?
This is the most difficult move in the game to learn:
- Execute a Crazy Dash from a standstill or a Limiter Cut while driving at Crazy Dash or Limiter Cut speed.
- Immediately release the Gas Pedal.
- Then immediately change gears to Reverse and hold down the Brake Pedal.
How Can I Tell If I Did It Correctly?
Breaking a few pertinent laws of physics (not that Crazy Taxi follows most of them anyway), your cab will go from Crazy Dash or Limiter Cut speed to a full stop in a matter of inches. In this process, the rear of your vehicle will rise into the air and sparks will shoot out from the sides.
An observation and some words of warning...
- If you know how to Crazy Dash and Crazy Stop, you may have executed the 'Official' Crazy Stop already. It commonly occurs when players Crazy Dash towards then Crazy Stop to pick up the nearest orange customer right at the beginning of the game. If you routinely do this, watch for those tell-tale sparks.
- It's not too hard to execute the Crazy Dash version of this move (cab starting from a standstill). The Limiter Cut version, however, will take an immenseamount of practice to become proficient at. (Hey, it's tough enough just to learn the Limiter Cut.)
This is an amazing move that removes about 98% of the time you would normally spend slowing down your cab. Unfortunately, it's not terribly useful at all. Here's why...
- Obviously, the Limiter Cut version of the 'Official' Crazy Stop is the one that would be most helpful during the game. There aren't very many opportunities for the Crazy Dash version to save you much time.
- The Limiter Cut version is extremely difficult to pull off successfully — too difficult. Your foot must be completely off the Gas Pedal before you do the Reverse and Brake portion of the move. Also, the window of time for executing this move after the Limiter Cut is very small, which increases the chances that you'll make a mistake.
- If you do flub the execution, you'll Limiter Cut way past your intended target (unless you can prevent it by driving into something). Even though you apply the Brake at the very end, the overshot distance can still be enormous. This discourages most people (myself included) from becoming proficient at it. Both the learning curve and the price for failure are just too steep.
- Even if you become able to execute the Limiter Cut version consistently, figuring out when to is still problematic. Given the same distance, the speed your cab is traveling would determine how early you'd want to start the Limiter Cut that leads to the 'Official' Crazy Stop. Stopping with a good degree of precision just isn't possible due to the speed burst you get from the preceding Limiter Cut. That's why you can really only use this move for delivering customers to large drop-off zones. Even if you could use this move to accurately stop in a customer circle, they'd just somersault away from your cab costing you the seconds you were trying to save.
In conclusion, the 'Official' Crazy Stop is not a move that's required to fully enjoy this game.